A Reason to Strive For - Diary of a Kuwaiti Woman



"The woman today can do anything, and sometimes even more, of what a man can do. She can go anywhere, do anything and be anyone she would like. She goes out as she pleases, can drive, work, and receive a proper education that is equivalent of a man's. Women make up about 60% of our university students and there are currently more women then man with graduate school degrees. There is no need for her to vote when she is already privileged in her society and treated fairly." This was the argument that was always raised against women who demanded the political right to vote in Kuwait prior to 2001. 
I find that women and men do not always see that if it weren't for another woman to speak up, you (as a woman, and a man) would NOT be where you are today. The same can be applied to politics. One cannot gain rights from the government on the issues that are of importance to them like work, health, education, discrimination laws, policy regulations and limitations if one cannot participate in the government to begin with. How can my voice be heard if I am banned from participation? How can you say a woman is free to do as she pleases when she clearly cannot participate in one of the most important aspects of society? How dare you tell me I do not know any better, or that my ignorance needs to be silenced, or that I am JUST a woman? I do not want my father or my brother or some husband to be my voice, or put words in my mouth, or tell me who I am and what I cannot be. I am a woman, I insist to them, and more than that I am a strong woman, and a strong woman's place belongs in front of the eyes of society to lead them, not hidden in her house to be led by some man who may have no idea what he’s doing anyway.
My hometown is all about the trends: skinny jeans, gold, leggings, feathers, you name it and we have done it and moved on to the next fashion show which we have displayed on our bodies. We have a lot of pride when it comes to what we wear; I do not believe that I will ever find a society where its women dress as nice and look as retro and beautiful as mine. Beauty is appreciated, and while brains are also appreciated, it is in a way expected. We, as women, are expected to be smart. But more than that, we are expected to be aware. The news is all we watch, it is our pastime. World events, local news, we love to keep up and discuss. Growing up, my kindergarten dream was to be a super model that owned every Barbie in the world. I thought I would create a world museum of my Barbie collection and make a lot of money. Unfortunately, at 5'1 and a loss of interest in Barbie, my plans quickly became more realistic. I was not sure what I wanted to be, and to this day I am still not sure. Most people really don’t, so it's okay.
May, 2005, IT had happened. The decision passed with 32 voted for, 23 against. I could not be happier. Well, I could be and that is when I can actually vote, but still. ُSociety had voted for a new round in Parliament, and four exceptional and very educated women have won, each one with a background that represented a specific segment of our society. This historical event succeeded these hard working women to jump to the top, despite people's outbreaks.  These women set the standard and created new awareness for women. We now not only believed we can do it, but we know now that we really CAN do it.
So why has this event changed my life? What have these four women accomplished since they entered parliament in 2009? What was so special about including them in? According to rule of law number 29 in the constitution, citizens are equal in human dignity; there is no difference or distinction in gender, origin, language or religion. Their entrance enables this law to come to life by forming The Woman's Board, which is concerned with creating, mending and removing laws associated in the constitution that may hinder a woman's freedom from being an active role in society. It not only helps make it easier to be a woman in society, it also gives her more cushion to pursue other things in life instead of being in constant worry of surveillance and survival. 
This historical event gave women a lot of changes. For one, maternity leave is now mandatory; a mother may receive her full salary for staying at home the first 60 days to give her undivided attention to her child and release herself from worries of work during this crucial time. Second, divorced, widowed or women married to non-nationals are entitled for free housing given by the government. Also, a committee for marital problems was set up to protect the woman's rights and not be treated unfairly by the courts. Other committees that these women participated in allowed for women to join different law enforcement like security guards, police officers and fire fighters. These and many other laws have been created for every woman's benefit. Changes like these make me love my country. I am Proud to be from Kuwait, because Kuwait taught me to always have an opinion, always be political, and never, ever back down from what’s rightfully (and naturally) mine.

Comments