Culture or Captivity

Throughout history society has shown a tendency in preserving cultural values, traditions that have been passed down through generations and form the fulcrum of our communities. Some cultural ideals translate into enforced ignorance and oppression for women. In Afghanistan, about half of all brides are under the age of 16. In Mali, few women escape the tortures of genital mutilation.  In the United States, one of every woman will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime, the odds are higher with their intimate partners. In Saudi Arabia, women are deprived of driving and are generally seen as life-long dependents. In India, it is common for women to be placed under the strict rule of their families and that is so that the women can be protected from violent acts of rape and sexual assault.  It is said that this perceived conservatism on the part of Indian women is one of the main reasons India has been able to deflect the AIDS pandemic. Wait... WHAT??

At a time when women have the potential to play a prominent role in the advancement of society; there seems to be a lack of differentiating between culture and repressive principles.  So why preserve a culture that is overwhelming and dictates the way I should go about my life? Oh, that is because lustful women are the cause of AIDS, and chaste women will prevent the spread of disease, rape, and will save humankind!!!

I must acknowledge that I do embrace certain aspects of my culture and would love to share them with others, but we must also learn to let go of underlying customs that set women back. At a young age, women are burdened with conforming to societal norms, and are expected to accept a status within society that is limited, controlled, and confined.  But what good is a country’s culture if it leads to women lacking control over their own fate?  What good is a country’s culture if it exhausts women of their potential and their futures?
I, for one, refuse to remain in captivity.  I’ve learnt to embrace the pristine nature of my heritage and my background; yet it remains an ongoing struggle, and I vow to transcend the cultural barriers that come my way.

By Saalem Kashlan

Comments